Wednesday, September 16, 2009

September is hotter than the dickens in CA!







It's still hot enough to call it summer, but the calendar has turned to September and that tells me it should be autumn. The garden is looking pretty depleted.

Tomatoes are still blooming, but the actual fruit is very small. The pumpkins have started turning orange and the sunflowers have fallen over. And I'm just plain hot.




I've inserted a picture of the flowers on the chive plants. They are alive with a buzz of activity. Bees and small orange colored moths. I do like this part of my herb garden a lot. I haven't had much luck with the lemon thyme though. It grows and then just dies.




We had a beautiful lilac bush at our previous home. The renters didn't want it and so, I convinced (twisted his arm) my most wonderful husband to move it. He had to pull it out with a chain and a truck! And what a hole did it leave. Oh and then someone (not me) had to dig the new hole. I do have a great husband. Anyway, the lilac did well all summer - big beautiful purple blooms and oh the fragrance was sweet. About a month ago all the leaves on one of the limbs started to curl and turn brown. Before I knew it the entire bush seems to have died. I have no idea what happened. If you do, please let me know. I still have the hummingbird feeder in the bush and they would be enjoying it, if only someone could remember to fill it.


That wonderful husband I spoke about earlier, wants to yank it out now! I think we should reflect a bit before yanking. I'm hoping it has just decided to go dormant...wishful thinking I know. Anyway, if we have to yank it out, we will probably add another tree, as our new yard is in need of shade . Don't you wish one could just blink and have big lovely shade trees!


I did buy a few dozen tulips, but will wait until October to plant those babies. Anyone up for a bulb planting party? Just let me know.


We're off to the B-52's next week. Wonderful husband bought tickets for the anniversary of my 29th birthday! Wonder if I should get a bouffant hairdo before we go. Take care and I'll chat with you soon!

No comments: